Alyfireman has a post up that’s worth reading.
It is indeed our responsibility to question the government. You cannot trust the government to tell the truth, or to take care of you.
I find it very annoying how a few frothing loons are managing to make anybody who doesn’t think that the government is being entirely honest with us look like equally frothing loons.
Person A questions the wisdom of the Iraq War. Not following the letter of the law and declaring war, etc etc etc.
Person B stages a protest where middle aged women run around topless while people chant “Bush Lied, People Died” even though there isn’t good evidence that he misled the public, and in fact overthrew a dictator who is universally agreed to be bloodthirsty.
Who here manages to marginalize any serious discussion of the rightness or wrongness of what was done?
These frothing loons are making the right of free speech pointless, because their ridiculous antics have devalued it to the point of uselessness.
The whole discourse in this country has gone insane, and it’s mostly the fault of the BushHaters.
It’s to the point where you can’t disagree with President Bush’s policies without them coming out of the woodwork shouting “SEE! SEE! IT’S THE BUSHITLER”
The truth is that
1) President Bush is no more evil than the rest of us
2) The Constitution is the law of the land as it is written. A Judge should make ruling based on what the law says. If they want to change the meaning of the law, they should hang up their robes and run for Congress.
3) The war in Iraq was justified based on the available information at the time
4) We should have declared war on Iraq formally as the law requires us to do.
5) Social Security violates the 10th Amendment to the Constitution and as such should be totally abolished.
6) For all their whining, the Democrats have fewer answers than the Republicans
7) Free trade with corrupt dictatorships and evil communist regimes is destroying our Country.
Of course, you can’t have any discourse on this stuff, because the opposition party is full of rabid monkeys, and the non-rabid monkey party will say, “What?? Don’t you see the Rabid Monkeys trying to kill us all???”